As you know, we have already had professional support in to talk with children, staff and parents about this topic. However, the internet is constantly developing and there are new dangers every week.
#BeinCTRL is a new initiative of Webwise, which is a great organisation for supporting parents and schools in keeping our children safe online. Please check it out and stay vigilant.
Remind your children of the golden rule for digital interactions that make them feel uncomfortable: Stop, Block, Tell.
And as for everything in life, model what you want your child to do:
- If you don't want them on a device all day, get off your own device and do something else.
- If you don't want them on social media, get off it yourself. Save your social media time for when they're in bed.
- If you want them interacting with only people they know, do the same yourself.
- Don't want them sharing photos of themselves online? Guess what, don't share photos either!
- Worried about what information they share? Be vocal in your own choices and thinking on it - if a survey or question pops up on your screen, talk it out, get your child to help you decide whether to answer and why/why not.