As our government considers the latest NPHET recommendation that the country is moved to Level 5 restrictions, we are ensuring that we are ready for whatever is announced, whenever that is announced.
As a school, we have been given no indication of what that will be or what it will mean for schools. We have considered 4 scenarios and have plans for each scenario. Once a decision is announced, I will email you about the implications of that decision for our school and for your child.
School books going home today
On the off-chance that the announcement is that schools in this area will be closed, we are putting books and copies in the children's bags today.
Please do not touch them. Please do not allow your child to take them out of their bag. Please ignore them altogether.
We expect to be back in school tomorrow. In that case, every touch of every book increases the risk inside the school. Please take care of others in our community by adhering to this request.
We know that this increases the weight in the school bag and we do not intend for books to stay in bags long-term. This measure is just until our government gives a clear decision on schools this week.
In the event of closure
If it is announced that schools are closed, do not allow your child to write in their books and copies. Teachers have plans for the use of the books and it will not be helpful to have pages already completed before the lessons connected to them take place.
I know that this is an uncertain time and that we as adults may be stressed and worried. Please take the time while your child is at school to sit with and process any stress, worry or anxiety you may have.
Our children need and deserve for us adults to be the rock that they can lean on. These worries are adult worries, not children worries.
They have worries of their own. It is much easier for us to be open to them sharing their worries and for them to do that sharing if they see us as calm, unruffled and in control.
Please gift yourself some time today so that you can pass on that gift to your child(ren) after school.
The message we have given the children is that we are waiting for the Taoiseach to make a decision, that hopefully we will be in school together tomorrow but, if we're not, that's ok, you have your books and we will do distance learning. We were calm and upbeat with the children, down-playing any decision that may be coming. I hope that you will join us in that message.
As a community, I am so proud of what we have achieved to date. We will continue to achieve great things together, whatever will come.
I know that our Parents Association have been a wonderful help to parents over the last few months and that you are supporting each other. Please continue to do that.
I will write again after the government announcement, whenever that may be.
All the best,