We have asked DES for guidance on lots of different areas of school life, such as:
- Capacity such as how many children can we have in school at any one time?
- Practicalities e.g. will children come in for part of each day or part of each week?
- Additional needs/SET such as arrangements for summer provision
- Safety e.g. how to manage shared equipment
- Support for all, like understanding that working from home will be extra challenging for children in Junior Infants
- Care such as how to emphasise new practices for children without overwhelming them
- Costs - schools will have additional costs and less income
- Time-frame such as over how long can the year start be staggered?
We look forward to reading guidelines from DES and to developing our own school plan in line with them. We feel lucky to have these networks to work with and we know that these groups will continue to work together to refine practice.
We are thankful to Stephen and to Caitriona for taking the time to be involved in groups like this - it is a significant commitment of time, energy and head space and we know our school will be all the better for it. Mile buiochas daoibh.