The agenda for the meeting was set by the Department of Education:
- Health and safety protocols for the safe opening of schools
- Curriculum implementation for the 2020/2021 school year
- Wellbeing support for the school community
Caitriona (Hand) had a presentation ready, which had been approved by our Board of Management at their meeting last week. Under each point, Caitriona and Anita outlined what we feel our school has done well, followed by the challenges we have faced and finally recommendations and requests we asked Caitriona Ni Bhriain to share with her team.
The inspector was very impressed with how our school had coped with reopening. Her particular comments were that:
- We have a clear vision, centred on children, well-being and learning.
- We have been very creative in our approach.
- We have foreseen challenges that show a deep consideration of the issues.
In return, Caitriona helped us to further develop our thinking around planning, especially in using the content of the curriculum to develop skills and getting deeper into thematic planning and teaching.
This meeting was a very positive and affirming experience. The inspectorate is an important part of the school community and we relish the opportunity to have professional conversations that push our thinking and help us to grow.
Many thanks to Caitriona for taking the time to meet with us and for the commitment to bring our concerns and suggestions to others in the Department of Education.