Planning for this started back in 2015 when we devised our swim policy and development plan. In 2016, the children who were then in 2nd and 3rd classes piloted the programme for us and we are now able to implement the programme in full.
From this year, every child in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th classes will attend an 8-week term of swimming lessons in the 3rd school term. By tight scheduling and nurtured relationships with the service providers, we are able to provide these lessons at the extremely reasonable cost of 40 euro for 8 lessons.
Some learning points from today that will help all children in future lessons:
- Please send swim gear in a bag that will hold all of your child's belongings while they are swimming, including shoes and coat. With up to 50 children per session to store and find their belongings, it really helps with efficiency if each child can pick up their belongings easily and quickly and this means that the children are left standing in their wet swim gear for less time after their swim session.
- Please encourage your child to wear their swim gear under their clothes coming to school in the morning. Children wearing a body suit can pull their togs up to their waist only so that they can go to the toilet during the day and just pull the straps over their shoulder at the start of the swim session.
- If at all possible, take your child swimming between swimming lessons. This practice and familiarity with the water will make the lessons more fruitful and valuable.
- Remember swim hats please!
- Warm hats for afterwards are great.
- Swimming is hungry work. Please send an extra piece of lunch on swim days.
Swimming is a very important life skill. Being comfortable in the water and knowing how to keep yourself upright and afloat may just save your life one day. How lucky our children are to get this opportunity! Thanks so much to all parents for your support and cooperation in this; it means so much to us to know that we are a team.